Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lilian's "Tangled" birthday party

Lilian's "Tangled" themed birthday party took a lot more effort that I originally anticipated. All my fault, of course. I got all sorts of excited about a website that had all these great ideas....and then found myself up till 1:00 AM Sunday night trying to get it all put together for Lilian's 10:00 AM Monday morning party.

1. The invitations. How cute! And how hard could it be? Not too, really. But time consuming, yes.


2. Take home gifts for the party attendees...because Rapunzel loves to paint, remember?


3. Pascal party blowers. Originally I was going to have the kids make these during the party. But then I made one myself and thought...a bunch of 4 year olds putting these together? Nah, not going to happen. So I made 12 of them myself. Julianne, however, took one look and claimed they looked more like fish rather than chameleons...so she took on the task of making them some curly tails and feet.


4. Rapunzel hair. Ten minutes from start to finish, the website said. Umm...no. Apparently making an 18 foot long braid with 36 strands of yarn takes 4 sets of hands and a whole lot longer than 10 minutes. But it makes for a fun decoration. And came in handy for some games later...

5. Julianne has been into making these tissue pom poms every since my sister Melissa taught her how at a baby shower a few months ago.


6. THE CAKE! (No way, no how was I going to attempt the fancy tower cake in the website I was shamelessly copying. It's one thing to do the invite or the braid...but the cake? I ordered this one from the local bakery. Much easier.)


7. While the kids were arriving we had them coloring Rapunzel and Flynn Rider pictures. After everyone was settled, I pulled out some sun-shaped sugar cookies, yellow frosting and sprinkles and let them go to town.


8. Games were next. First, Pin the Frying Pan on Flynn Rider. My brother-in-law, Jeremy, drew the poster for his daughter's "Tangled" party last month and they kindly let us borrow it.


9. Then tug of war with Rapunzel's hair.


10. And finally jump rope with Rapunzel's hair. (Julianne came up with that one on the fly. Can I just say...I never could've pulled off this party with Rebekah, Julianne and Brandon????)


11. Opening presents. Lots of chalk and art supplies. Lots of Rapunzel paraphernalia. All good stuff. (Funny enough, Lilian was pleasantly surprised when she realized her friends were bringing her presents. She thought the party was only about friends coming over to play games and eat cake.)


12. A "thank you" and a hug for each and every guest at the party.


13. Blowing out the candles on the cake after everyone sang "Happy Birthday." Come to think of it...I'm not sure we've ever told Lilian that you're supposed to make a wish first. Hmm....

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm loving those tissue ball things, so cute. I should take some lesson's, i've wanted to put some up in Kendra's room.

Mary said...

I love it! What a fun party. And I would have bought the cake too. I'm not that creative when it comes to the cake decorating department. I tried once and failed miserably! I vowed I would never again attempt...no matter how easy it looks....

Melissa@thebblog said...

holy cow - that sounds like such a great time. I did my cake last year for MAddy and from here on out we are having plain rectangle cakes with plain old frosting - maybe some sprinkles or a fancy candle. :)

Heidi Green said...

So cute!! That braid was worth every minute you spent on it. :) Happy birthday Lillian!

Katie said...

Everything turned out great! Ally loved looking at Lilian's cake and then we had to go back and look at hers. She was sure that our cake had a white background not purple like Lilian's. I had my doubts but she was right. How do they remember these things!

benilhalk said...

What a fantastic idea for a party! I am planning to throw a bridal shower for my sister and I can keep such a theme for all the lovely ladies coming to the party. Her wedding is next month in one of the San Francisco wedding venues and I am glad I got such a cool idea from this post for her party.