Friday, March 18, 2011

Misplaced vanity...

So. I'm driving to a Chorale rehearsal last night. It's a 45 minute drive away...and that's on a good day, with no traffic. I'm running late. A good 15-20 minutes late. Which means I'm driving fast. Like 80 mph, fast. (Sorry Dad. I have a lead foot, what can I say?) I'm in the fast lane but cars are still occasionally pulling past me in the carpool lane on the left, despite my breakneck speed. A car pulls up but doesn't pass. Not thinking much about it, I look over. It's a guy and he's looking at me. Like...full on, meeting my eyes, type of looking at me. I quickly look away and try not to smile. I try to act all natural as I fiddle with the radio dials while resisting the urge to turn my head and see if he is still looking. He is very obviously keeping pace with me. "He's totally checking me out!" I laugh to myself. And why not? I am looking pretty cute. AND I'm driving a hot little red sports car. I'm feeling pretty good about myself when all the sudden I hear a quick little siren blip coming from that car on my left. I about jump out of my seat as my head involuntarily whips around to look. It's the same guy... {GASP} He's a cop! In plainclothes and an unmarked car. And he is indeed looking at me. Like...full on, meeting my eyes, type of looking at me. But he is most definitely NOT checking me out. No, he's trying to catch my attention, signalling with his hand that I need to slow my speed down.

My heart is racing {pound, pound, pound, pound} in my chest as I slow down to 70 mph. And then as I realize he is not going to pull me over, this bubble of laughter rises up and out of me.
hahahahahahahaha!!
So much for my misplaced vanity.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Ha Ha! He really WAS checking you out and thought that you were cute so he decided not to give you a ticket!

Melissa@thebblog said...

ok, I'm trying not too laugh too much!!! you didn't tell me that when you got to choir. So funny. You did look cute though. maybe he didn't pull you over becasue secretly he was checking you out.

Rachel said...

why oh why do you never get tickets?!? I almost lost my license due to speeding, and I think you speed more than I do! ARGH! You are so lucky!!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh, I have got plenty of tickets. It's just, usually I get them on little roads around town where I don't even realize that I am speeding (I always try to be so careful on side roads)...so it REALLY ticks me off. If I got a ticket on the freeway...well then, yeah, I fully admit that I deserve a ticket. (Luckily I don't get pulled over on the freeway....)

Camilla Millar said...

That is so funny! Thanks for the laugh.