Thursday, March 31, 2011

First date

Twenty-one years ago today Bryan and I went to Jr. Prom. It was our first date.

Oh my.
Um...that makes me feel really old.


Not only was it our first date, it was our first kiss. And not only was it our first kiss as a couple, it was my first kiss period! So March 31st is a pretty special day for us.

Well, actually...Bryan probably doesn't remember that our first date was March 31st. He has a hard enough time remembering the exact date of our wedding anniversary, let alone all the other "special" days that I yearly remind him of.
You know...
*the day we met (January 13, 1990)
*his entrance into the MTC (January 16, 1991)
*his mission release (February 5, 1993)
*the day he proposed (March 21, 1993)
*our wedding (July 15, 1993)
*my birthday (August 30)
*HIS birthday (December 9)
Let's not even get into all the kids' birthdays....
(In his defense, he does usually get really close. :) And honestly, I just have a freakishly good memory.)

So...I'll remind him tonight of what day it is. He'll smile and say something like, "Oh yeah! Really? That was 21 years ago today?" And we'll reminisce for a few minutes about the date....
About:
*how Janet's dress really was pink even though he and Steven thought it was white,
*how Steven had to wear a plastic bib at the Old Salt City Jail during dinner so he wouldn't get rib sauce on his tux,
*how we made silly faces in our icecream cones at Snelgroves after the dance,
*all the dirty looks that he gave Jared Bickham (my ex) throughout the evening,
*the goodnight kiss on the doorstep.

Isn't it amazing that we have been together as a couple for more years than we haven't?

8 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

oh my goodness, you sweet, young faces! How cute you all look dolled up for the dance.

mistress of chaos said...

and the sad thing is that I can't remember that dance, maybe I didn't go....maybe their was a chick night at my house with Chellie.....its hard to keep track of who was dating who back then......
You look so sweet and its not fair that all that has changed is your hair color:)

Steven said...

Hey, you would have used a bib for that pile of ribs too! You took the cowards route and ordered the chicken, if I recall. It was fun, though.

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Joci...I think maybe you didn't go? I'm thinking you weren't 16 yet.

And Steven...it was steak, actually. But heck no was I going to order the ribs...I was wearing a white dress!! Regardless of the bib, no doubt I would've spilled on myself. :)

Steven said...

Oh, and that dress WAS white.

Lori said...

I say, kudos on the bib, Steven...you were rocking that tux and it certainly deserved to be preserved! Bryan looks like he borrowed his suit from your dad and is swimming in it.

Otherwise...WHOAH! That was really so long ago? It doesn't seem possible, but I do remember having this picture up in my locker in Manti or in my wallet or something as a reminder of my adorable dating friend and her crush of a lifetime! What a whirlwind of 21 years.

You should post these awesome dates on Bryan's google calendar so that even if he forgets, his computer won't, and he'll have a chance to choose to do something beyond remember the time with you.

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Janet's dress was light pink..with white lace over the top. And you're never going to convince anyone you are right because you've got that whole color deficiency thing working against you.... :)

Shauna said...

I think I still have that picture hanging around somewhere...

Kudos to you for remembering all your special "1sts." I pretty much remember birthdays and our anniversary. Couldn't tell you when Kev and I met (sometime in 1991?) or when our first kiss was (ummmm. . . sometime after college and before marriage?) or even when he proposed (Januaryish of 1999?). I remember freakish things from when I was a baby (seriously) but I can't remember when Kev and I started having smoochies. Go figure.